Friday, November 9, 2007

Mucho gusto, espana

Estoy en Barcelona, and I am surprised how much Spanish I know. Yesterday I was able to ask a woman why the Miracle Magic Fountain wasn't working. I am certain that what I asked could be translated as, "The fountain, is you turn it off?" She only laughed a little, but knew what I meant and told me that it is on at 8pm. I'll have to see it tonight.

Another Spanish couple asked me where this thing was. I asked, this thing? They said si, and I told them that I hablo solo un poco de espanol, I'm not from here, and I don't know what this thing is of which they are speaking.

Then at the market, a Spaniard asked me what that is, as he pointed to a piece of animal. I told him, cabeza. He asked of what animal and I told him "cabra." He laughed and baaaed like a sheep. Oh yeah, I saw a pile of goat heads at the market.

The Picasso museum is incredibly interesting and totally worth the €4. Most of the art is from 1896, which is only impressive when you realize that he was born in 1881.

I honestly think I could learn this language if I were immersed in it for a few weeks, which is somewhat what I'll be doing in the next few weeks. Athena, let's learn Spanish, then we can take on Spain or South America as bilingual siblings.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell me more of this "taking on" of
Spain or South America you speak of. I have already planned on learning Spanish, not only the bad words and slang, like now, it is on my 'to do' list.

Anonymous said...

it's the magic fountain :) you shouldn't blog without letting me edit first.

Anonymous said...

funny, you seem to know about as much spanish as I do, and I majored in it for 2 years at Miami. weird.

that being said, the first time I went to Spain (my freshman year of high school), I actually helped an American couple order food in a Barcelona cafe. thank god my spanish teacher at the time realized how important it was for us to learn how to order food...that was all we studied for the entire year.

I can also ask where the public restrooms are ;)