Monday, September 17, 2007

It's a start, Germany

This picture is boring. But every day, in front of Humboldt University they sell books. This is the sight (or rather over my shoulder from where this image was taken is the sight) where the students of the university decided one night to enforce the Nazi banning of certain books. It is commonly seen as the start of the Holocaust, as they were trying to stop people from thinking. The memorial in the square is very powerful in person, but I won't post it here. It is underground, through glass and hard to see, but there are rows of empty book shelves.

So this is a step in the right direction. Especially since it's a, you know, school.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

tikitikitembonosarrembocharichriruchipipperrypembo has fallen down the well.

Unknown said...

for laimen;
Tiki-tiki-tembo-no-sar-rembo-chari-chari-ruchi-pip-perry-pembo

paradise7 said...

Wow...and I thought the Museum of Tolerance was powerful. Man, I don't know shit!

Anonymous said...

What's even more disturbing is that certain books are still being banned, even in the U.S., Chabot College had a section in the library where banned books were displayed in a glass box: I believe Harry Potter was one of them. I hope you bought a book from those merchants.

Zac said...

I would have bought one, but they were all in German. I almost bought one for Lisa, but I don't know if she can read German. In hindsight, of course she can, but at the time I was less sure.

Anonymous said...

Not only can I read German, but I just translated a 3 page German tax document for my roommate's boyfriend. It was fascinating and yet I wanted to die. Hope you're having a better time!