Wednesday, September 5, 2007

First buzzed (drunk?) blog

It's 11 pm. I'm on about 2 hours of sleep for the second time in a few days and am now blogging after having a few pints (only like 3) at the bar next door to our hostel. I like Dublin. It's a pretty small city, so you can walk everywhere (at least we did today) the people are pretty nice (one guy gave us directions to the place we were going without even asking us if we needed directions). Also, Tor, I'm going to try to post a picture of Mr George Bernard Shaw's birthplace tomorrow at some point, but I don't know if I can a) find it; and b) post the image (though I'm pretty sure I can).

I'm going to take a little walking tour tomorrow (self guided) of an area I haven't been yet, and then that's it for me in the land of my people (or, my father's father's people) as I fly out in the evening for London. I am for sure going to one of those heraldry places, cause why not? How often am I in Ireland (so far 1 out of over 8,760 days of my life).

As for those of you who want a postcard from everywhere, despite my seemingly infinite resources, I don't know if I can swing that. Pick one. Or two. I'll see what I can do.

I've continued to jaywalk, which I hope will help me blend in with the locals. And let me tell you about the Guinness in Dublin. It's good. Though I think I can spot the reason why. In L.A., a bartender will pour you a "slow pour" Guinness for like, $12. That's where they pour a little more than half of a beer, wait a few minutes (not moments) and then pour the rest. Every bartender (including the one at Gravity Bar at the top of the factory) in Dublin pours it that way. They just know. I may have found the secret. Though, in all honesty, I didn't think the first Guinness I tasted was better than U.S. Guinness. It was good, and different, but not normal. Then I saw it wasn't normal Guinness. It was some new-fangled type (image to follow soon). Then at Gravity Bar, I had the best Guinness of my life. I didn't believe the hype, but it still got me.

The hostel is pretty nice. The neighborhood it's in is a cross between Chinatown and 3rd Street. We'll see how well I can sleep I guess before I make any final judgements on it.

So you guys are all at work (except Rima, who left about 30 minutes ago) and I'm about to go to bed. The roundness of the world kind of freaks me out. Every hour one of us mentions how weird it is that our friends are "just waking up," or "just getting to work," or "eating lunch," while we're already yawning and falling asleep during historical AV presentations.

Peace out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first of many drunk bloggings, I expect.

Anonymous said...

Tell me... did they serve the Guinness at room temperature? If so, is it preferable to Guinness served cold? And how's the weather?