Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Dropped off at the pool (I'm pooped)

For the first time, in what I now realize is a really long time, I swam some laps today.

I used to swim 3/4 of a mile three times a week. This would have been in 2003 and 2004. It amounted to 40 laps, I think, and took about half an hour or so. On one occasion, I swam the full mile (to get a certificate saying that I did) and it took me just under 50 minutes.

Today I drove to the gym in Potrero Hill (got lost on the way) and did 16 laps in a little less than 15 minutes. I probably could have done a lot more if I knew how to go a lot slower, but I'm used to swimming at a certain rate and frankly, my arms and lungs couldn't maintain it for very long.

But then I was able to go in the steam room and the sauna, so all-in-all it was a good trip. I hope to return tomorrow after class, but we'll see if I'll be able to.

This is all in preparation for surfing, which will recommence soon.

1 comment:

dereklipkin said...

Whoa. Surfing? Can I get in on that? I've always wanted to give that a shot. I figure my skills on a skateboard give me a head-start on learning to balance. But that's just my bravado talking.