Thursday, October 18, 2007

Buon giornio

Italia!

After a week of not having Internet, I have Internet (as you may have gleaned from these words), though it is slow and crowded so don't expect much. Budapest was fantastically cheap and a very lovely city. Salzburg was a'ight. Then came Venice, which was a lot of fun except for when I got eaten alive by mozzies (that's what my Aussie friend called mosquitoes). I heard one buzzing around in my room, and no matter how much I thrashed about in the dark, I could not hit her, so I ducked my head under the covers to avoid having her see me.

One problem... I get hot easily and breathing under the covers makes me even hotter. So I tucked the sheet over my ears but just below my mouth. I shaved the next night to reveal about a dozen bites all over my cheeks, which explains the itching. Or is this just an elaborate story to hide the truth about my horrible acne? It's not. She got fat off eating my face.

I saw glass blowers on Merona, lace on Burona, and of course gondolas and tourists on Venice proper. At night, Venice is very nice and empty. Four of us walked the streets, getting lost, and seeing the sights devoid of the throngs that feed the flying rats in St Mark's Square.

So now I'm in Rome (doing as the Romans do). We'll be seeing Kate's mom tomorrow, which is very exciting. I really love meeting up with people. I've done it a lot in the past couple of weeks as fellow travelers happen to be in the same places I am at the same time. I may even see Kerryn (the Aussie who called my bites "mozzy bites") for a third time in Barcelona.

I'm so continental.

(Happy late bday Lisa. Sorry I didn't have Internet and/or wasn't in LA. Hope it was a grand affair.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mozzies makes them sound inappropriately like funny muppets or something.

During Chinese New Year in Taiwan, the people downstairs were burning a lot of fake money, and the smoke, I discovered that night, sent about a billion mosquitoes into my bedroom. I was up at 4 a.m. squatting at them wearily, and yet maniacally. I killed more than 25, but there were still more.

Anonymous said...

Ok. I just figured it out. I thought you weren't posting, but didn't see the left hand column where you post your blogs. I'm all caught up on your adventure. It sounds very exciting and so happy for you. when you come home, you can see our new house! That's right, we bought a new house.
Take care, lots of love,
JoNelle