Sunday, February 10, 2008

The return of the travel sponge

How much do I love staying with Jared and CJ? Quite a bit, actually.

Having never lived with guys before it's a nice preview of what life would be like finally doing so. Nine-foot TV for watching Lost? Check. Saturday morning spent sleeping, playing Guitar Hero on same nine-foot TV and online poker? Check. A little more filth than I'd like? Check.

Getting off the 405 on Wilshire was incredibly familiar. I knew everything there was to see in LA, knew where I needed to go to get where I was going without thinking and knew it would take me a long time because it was 5 pm.

And while it's no secret that I'm a fan of jackets, not using the AC and enjoying scarf weather, it is nice to be back in my traditional uniform of flip flops, t-shirt and jeans. It's been warm and sunny, almost unbearably so given that it's February.

LA is also great for making me feel like I'm super popular. Trying to see everyone you know in three or four days gives the impression that you know a lot of people. And the people are some of my favorite people, and I'm glad to visit them often.

Hot Hot Heat

I have now seen Hot Hot Heat three times and "Talk to Me Dance With Me" will never not be a great song. Part of the reason I came down this weekend vs another was because that band was playing with Louis XIV (one of my favorites) and The Editors (one that I now know is a great live act) for about the cost of a half a tank of gas. I couldn't really think of anyone at home who would want to see them as much as I would but apparently, I know quite a few people that would want to go in LA.

The amazing show got out at midnight and I was astonished that we found parking a few miles away in Hollywood at 12:45 am on a Saturday. After getting hit on twice by two different guys in the span of 10 seconds (when I bought it three years ago, Kirsten did say that the jacket wasn't "that gay") and a drink we walked over to the 101 Cafe located in the Best Western Hollywood Hills.

The syrup smelled better than the pancakes tasted at 2 in the morning, but what are you going to do? It was still deliciously awesome and quintessentially LA somehow. Everyone in their button up shirts and blazers and designer jeans or else wearing short skirts and other club wear. Me in my Dave Matthews t-shirt, Christmas present jeans and worn out hemp Rainbows. Ah, LA, it was nice to be back.

No comments: